tisdag 8 november 2011

"What in the name of...me...do you think you're doing?!" - Ares

Today I have watched a couple of episodes of the new TV-serie "Camelot". It's okay so far, I'm fond of those ancient stories like the ones in "The fellowship of the Ring", "Xena", "Hercules" and "King Arthur". So after watching "Camelot" I of course got a craving for the good ol´ Xena and Hercules who both kept me glued to the TV every afternoon as a ten year old.
Although I can't help but to feel a bit sad watching it since I know that Kevin Smith who played Ares - The God of War isn't alive anymore. Ares was always my favourite character. Everything around him was always crazy dramatic or ridiculously funny! Kevin died in an accident in 2002 which I didn't know about it until years later. While preparing for his first Hollywood role in the Bruce Willis movie "Tears of the sun" he went to China to shoot a martial arts film. He climbed up on a prop tower on the set for another film, lost his footing and fell several stories. He died on the 15th of February after being kept on life support for ten days at a hospital in Beijing.

When I got older and started doing my research, I found out that he was also a loving husband and a devoted father of three boys. Kevin adored performing on stage just as much as he loved acting. He had a wonderful singing voice and could do brilliant imitations of both Tom Jones and Elvis Presley (and I've heard plenty of imitations of Elvis to know that Kevin's imitation is the best one yet.)
There are several videos of him performing on YouTube, but this if my favourite one. It was filmed at a Hercules/Xena convention in 2000. It was a fun gig that Kevin and Joel Tobeck who played the freaky God Strife did for the fans. You can see how much he enjoyed being up there on stage.

I admire your strength
I admire your smile
I admire how you made
So many lives worthwhile
~~~~Rest in Peace ~~~~

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar