Few songs make me relax more than "San Fransisco (be sure to wear some flowers in your hair" by Scott Mckenzie. The first time I heard it was on a language trip I took to Malta in 2005. We danced the nights away to an upbeat version of it. It fits my mood even better now when I'm reading the book "Confessions of a groupie" by Pamela des Barres who was one of the flower power teenagers in the 60's. She describes with such wonderful details how free her life was back then, since not a lot of things were considered dangerous. People sat on the streets of Sunset Strip getting high, listening to groovy music and putting flowers in each others hair...
"Pandora's box, the ultimate rock club of the moment, was being torn down to make way for a wider road and a three-way turn signal, and WE, the patrons of the purple palace, were not going to stand for it. In fact, we sat down on Sunset Boulevard and wouldn't budge. I found something to believe in and was so proud of being on a mission to enlighten the world. I felt like I belonged, united with a thousand other kids, protesting what THEY were doing to US. At last I was surrounded by my own kind. I watched as gorgeous Hollywood boys overturned a bus, and I cheered on the offenders from my warm spot on the Sunset Boulevard blacktop. I gazed at Sonny and Cher, arms wrapped around each other, wearing matching polka-dot bell-bottoms and fake-fur vests, and realized we were all one perfect hip force with one big huge beating heart. I held hands with strangers and tried to recapture the moment before it had even passed." - Pamela des Barres
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar